Sunday, January 27, 2013

"I thank him who has given me strength"

THE SOURCE OF OUR ABILITY: 1 Timothy 1:12

I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful, appointing me to his service. (1 Tm 1:12)


Just this morning I had the opportunity to attend a most wonderful worship service, at a small country parish in northern Calvert County. St. Edmond's Church has it going on: I was greeted very warmly from the time I stepped up to the door, was helped to participate in the service by my neighbors in the pews, and was uplifted by spirited worship and a great sermon that touched my heart. I Pastor Joan Jones to be a friend as well as a colleague, yet it was the first time I had heard the privilege of hearing her preach. Wow.

Part of the heart of the message -- which was on joy, a spiritual category as opposed to mere happiness (which may have to do with external circumstances), focused on gratitude for having been able to get up this morning, and to dress oneself, and drive oneself to church. If God can accomplish all that, what else will He bring out of the day? It was marvelously delivered, and inspiring.

Paul would have concurred. In life, it is God who gives us strength. When God appoints us to His service, there will be challenges and sacrifices, hurdles and hardships -- often, just because they are the stuff of human life. Yet God gives us the strength to endure and prevail, the more so since we are appointed to fulfill His mission in the world.

As for St. Edmond's, by the way, the church presumably derives its name from the saint who was king of East Anglia in the IX. century, and who died a martyr after capture by hostile pagan forces rather than deny the faith. Our local St. Edmond's is clearly a place to find faith and perseverance under fire, as well.


Prince Frederick, Maryland (Providence)

No comments:

Post a Comment