Friday, April 12, 2013

Praising Christ’s Perfect Patience

THE PARADOX OF GRACE: 1 Timothy 1:16

But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.


Having touched on the paradox of conviction, Paul now turns to a second paradox: that of grace. He understands the clemency shown to him in Christ to be exemplifying, not the perfect righteous person, but that of the foremost sinner. In other words, if Christ can forgive and make a saint of God out of Saul of Tarsus (Paul), then a fortiori Christ can for you and me also.

But Paul is also touching on another issue here to which we current Christians should pay attention: that of my redemption as serving a larger purpose for others’ redemption. The apostle knows it’s not just about “me and Jesus”, his private deal with God. It’s about a larger purpose that involves the redemption of others.

Gloria Steinem is quoted as having made a comment to the effect that successful or wealthy people plan for generations to come; the poor, for Saturday night. As elitist and classist as that statement comes off, there’s a grain of truth in it. The spiritual “wealth” in our discipleship is tied, at least in part, to how we fit into a larger work of God that affects many lives beyond our own.


Lord Jesus Christ: forgive me for those times when I have wanted to see my spiritual welfare as a private affair. Help me to have a broader vision, in line with yours which claims all of humanity, and the breadth of creation. For truly, you are the “Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world.” Amen.


Lusby, Maryland

No comments:

Post a Comment